Search This Blog

Monday, February 4, 2013

Im Slightly Addicted to Pinterest...

I have to admit that actually I'm a little more than "slightly" addicted. I spend a lot of time on there. Mainly, I like to look at history and humor, but every once in awhile I venture over into the DIY section and shit goes downhill from there. I always like the idea of crafting, but as I have stated in the past, I can't stand suspense. I start every book I read with the very last page, I don't watch movies until I can read a synopsis on Wikipedia and I don't like surprises of any kind. None. Not gifts, nothing. So crafting is really a special kind of torture. I want to make things, but I don't want to go the through the process. I want to magically blink and BOOM, done.

Currently I'm working on a craft idea from Pinterest, there will be a blog posting in a week or so to let you know how that went (spoiler alert...NOT FUCKING GOOD!). Anyway, this is about something that I found in the DIY section that ACTUALLY worked!! Let me start off by saying that I live in a shitty old rent house. In this shitty rent house, someone decided that it would be a great fucking idea to put WHITE CERAMIC TILE through almost the ENTIRE house. With white grout. And no sealer. So, apparently the previous renter decided that he would seal the tile and totally fucked it up. Here's what it looks like..


My camera isn't co-operating so the tile appears yellowish, but it's really white. All of that tacky brown shit is dirt. Dirt that sticks to the sealer he put on it. Right before we moved in the landlord tried buffing it up, but was not completely successful. Anyway, the point is the tile in this house is the bane of my existence. So I'm always looking for ways to clean it and for the last 2 years I've really given up hope and have just done standard mopping, which has led to this....


That grout is pretty damn disgusting and has been getting on my nerves lately. So I found the toilet cleaner trick on Pinterest and said "fuck it!" why not give it a try? You take toilet bowl gel cleaner, I used the Lysol brand, and you pour it all along the .....wait, actually the FIRST thing you need to do is open every window and door you have because there will be an overpowering bleach aroma in the air and if you want to continue to breathe this is very necessary.

Now, line your grout with it, let it set for 5 minutes, take a cleaning brush (I  just used  one of those ones to scrub dishes with) and scrub it. It takes very little effort to get the dirt out of the grout. Then let it sit for 5 more minutes, this is where it gets tricky, I didn't read the entire thing so I don't know how you are going to get it off of your floor, but I have a Hoover Floor mate so I wiped most of it up with a towel and then sucked the rest up with that. And here is the result....



That is some clean ass tile! It took 3 bottles to do a fairly large sized kitchen. I haven't done the rest of the house yet because I'm out of shape and bending over for 3 hours caused my ass to really hurt like hell the next day. So, as soon as I re-coop, I will tackle the rest.

No comments: