Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

My Life's Passion....

I have lots of hobbies, none that I do full time. Most I just dabble in because I don't really have the time or patience to go for any in-depth learning. Like Photography. I love taking pictures, but I know nothing about aperture or, well, anything else photography related. I'm a point and click type of person. Anything more than that and you've completely lost me. Part of the problem is I just want to do things now. I want to skip all of the important steps and just see the end result. I don't like waiting around.

Having said that, my main hobby is cake decorating which is really weird because I truly despise baking. I usually burn the shit up so it gets frustrating for me. So how I ended up loving decorating cakes I really have no freaking clue. I always made my kids cakes because I'm cheap, but one year I decided to try my hand at something fancy. Fancy is not what I got, the end result was sort of sad. Here it is (this was taken on an old cell phone with maybe 1/2 megapixel capability so just try and look past that).....



Its not a terrible cake, per se, but what you can't tell from this photo is that the back was collapsing. Next up, my sons birthday cake. This one has a lot of issues and if you have eyes then I don't need to point them out to you (again, 1/2 megapixel camera phone)....


taaadaaaa!

This cake, while a huge mess, inspired me to put some effort into my next cake, thats where this one comes into play. It was a birthday cake for my sister-in-law whose birthday falls on Halloween (new camera, yay!)....

Those look like penises, but they are fingers.

Now, that cake was looking a little better and I started gaining some confidence. After this one I moved on to this next one which was a collaboration with my daughter. I made the face, the rest was all her....





So then my other daughters birthday rolled around and she reaaaaalllllyyyy wanted a Jigglypuff cake so this is what she got...



BOOM! This one is greatness!

Here's a picture for comparison...



Next my son's birthday rolls around and he is a huge gamer and wanted something gaming related so I came up with this....





That is all edible except the 6 and the characters. The board is even covered in fondant. I loved this cake.


Now, here are two quick cakes I did that weren't fancy, but still not bad...


This was for my oldest daughter, the stars and faces are white chocolate.

And....

This was for my niece who wanted a peace symbol. I wish I had done some more hand painting on it, but oh well.
Hopefully at this point you can see sort of a progression. I still haven't ever taken any type of decorating classes and maybe one day I will, but these next few cakes are my best. I'm going to list them as my least favorite to my most favorite.

Least favorite, but still greatness...

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the painted coloring was gorgeous.

My first paying gig....



One year later, my first paying gig birthday....






And finally, my BFFs birthday cake...the best cake I have ever made...


Once again, all edible. Even the chess piece.







So there you have it. If I ever win the lottery I will spend my days making cakes, but I will hire someone to do all of the baking.

No comments: